Friday, February 4, 2011

My new gig ...

when I arrived at the NWA Airport to Interview for a C/UNIX programmer position at WalMart's headquarters in BentonVille Arkansas, I could not find my wallet. I went to inquire with the airline operator but the plane which brought me here had already left for Atlanta. So there I was in the Airport with no ID and no phone (I have this cool wallet which also serves as a cover for my phone). 

Somehow I was able to convince the people at the car rental company counter to rent me a car without a driver's license. (WalMart has a lot of pull in Arkansas, mention WalMart and doors open magically). I arrived at the hotel at about 11pm, still decent hours, but I was not able to sleep for a minute the whole night. I called all the credit card companies and banks, and then I stayed up all night wondering if my cards had been used prior to me reporting them lost. Most of all I missed my IPhone, I had survived all my life without one and now for whatever reason I felt lonely and couldn't sleep. 

The interview sessions at WalMart lasted 6 hours (8am - 2pm). Between presentations, waiting my turn (I think we were about 12 people being interviewed for similar positions that day), and talking to different folks, I suspect I was caught nodding a few times. I am not absolutely sure if I actually slept through the interviews because nobody mentioned it, but I did not get a job offer either, lol. 

As soon as I got back home from that trip, somebody called asking me to interview for a C++ Developer position right here in Texas. Boy was I ready! 
I got a better job in the financial industry, which dovetails quite nicely with my MBA in Finance, in the great city of Austin, TX. I could not be any happier with the way things turned out. 

In life one never knows what comes for good or bad. you just roll with the punches, doing your best at all times and let the good Lord sort out the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment