Thursday, February 10, 2011

iPhone Vs iPhone

The Verizon iPhone is finally here and, for the first time in the USA people are free to choose their network carrier. Well almost free to choose, we still cannot get the phone on the smaller carriers, but at least now the two main carriers have it. The question now is, which is better, the "new" Verizon phone or the "old" AT&T phone. The answer is ... it depends. According to published reports the Verizon network is more reliable, the iPhone drops fewer calls. On the other hand the AT&T data network is reportedly faster, it lets you surf the web while you talk on the phone, and its technology is more ubiquitous, meaning your phone is more likely to function when you travel outside the US. I have had an AT&T iPhone since 2007, and now that I have a choice, will I switch? Well, let us examine the mentioned feature differences:

1. The Verizon Network is more reliable, the iPhone drops fewer calls
I have owned an AT&T iPhone since the first generation and dropped calls have never been a big problem. I have always had good signal quality wherever I travel in the country and overseas. on the few occasions when I have had dropped calls, I just redialed and continued with my conversations without much interruption.

2.  The AT&T data Network is up to 20% faster, allowing for faster internet surfing, downloads and uploads
The iPhone is my internet modem, my music box, my radio, and my movie theater (yes, it connects to larger screens). I do a lot of web surfing, a lot of video and audio streaming and I need the network to be faster, not slower.

3. The AT&T phone works in more places overseas
I have used my phone on travels through South America, Africa and Europe with no hassle anywhere. Not needing to switch phones when I travel has been invaluable ($$$).

4. The AT&T phone lets you talk and surf the web at the same time
I do this on a daily basis. I am always retrieving links, emailing and performing other online tasks while talking  on the phone. Remember when you had an AOL internet account which tied up your phone line and kicked you off the internet whenever somebody called? Ouch!! sorry to bring up painful memories, but I wanted to make a point to those old enough to remember. I am not going back there.

I have had a love affair with my phone for over three years and enjoy the features that I get on the old AT&T network. So...

There you have it. An unbiased and concise review for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment